We used a handprint graphic organiser to plan our ideas before we started writing
We learnt about paragraphing and what this would look like in our autobiography. By using the handprint it made brainstorming our ideas and putting them into paragraphs a lot easier by keeping one idea to its own paragraph. Students now had an introduction, three things to talk about, and a conclusion.
Then the editing process began. Using a green pen to identify words we thought were incorrectly spelt or to find missed punctuation, we checked that our sentences made sense, and were corrected and added when we reread our autobiography out loud. For some of us it was a new skill to use the dictionary. There were lessons on how to do this correctly so it wasn’t so difficult opening up a book with hundreds and hundreds of words and becoming overwhelmed by it.
We then up-skilled our digital skills to present our published work with a border, appropriate font size and colour to ensure it could be read easily. This was a new learning experience for some. Paying attention to the finer details when publishing was all new learning. After editing and back and forth discussions to identify what needs fixing, we have finally got our final copies that we are proud to share. Take a look.